Support TOS Forum by making a donation or subscribing as a VIP member today!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to the Meta Discussion subforum!
By the grace of our beloved admin Night, we now have a subforum for discussing the current Tower of Saviors metagame!

What is this "metagame", you ask?

Well. It's hard to define the term for all situations. But generally, the term "metagame" refers to what's strategically useful to do within a game at a particular time. In Tower of Saviors, the metagame refers to which teams are currently considered the most powerful, capable of tackling the great variety of stages and enemy skills in the game.

As time goes on, the metagame will change as new cards are introduced, and new stages are released. Better team members will replace old ones, and some teams may fall out of favour. But the teams that people ask about the most will usually be the ones that are viable for the current meta. And that's where this subforum comes in!

How it (hopefully) works:

There are 2 kinds of threads, Patch threads and Team threads.

Patch threads discuss the meta with regards to a particular patch. This includes things like:
  • an overview of the new introductions in that patch and their abilities
  • a brief mention of the new introductions' strengths and weaknesses
  • comparisons to existing cards
  • comparisons of different team archetypes' strengths and weaknesses

Team threads should correspond to a particular team archetype. For example,
  • Dual VR Norse
  • Diaochan + Amaterasu
  • Azathoth Dark Dragons
This should also be mentioned somewhere in the title of the thread, though feel free to be more creative!

The first post of each team thread should ideally contain the following information:
  • The team's general playstyle and gameplan. Talk about the leader skills and team skills. 
  • The team's strengths and weaknesses. Is the team good against overheal? Does it require special spinning skills?
  • Core members for the team archetype. For example, Norse Gods need Odin for their full impact.
  • Non-core, but commonly used members. Wine Valkyries are nice to have in Norse teams, but they're not essential.
After this and any reserved posts by the thread author, discussion of the team archetype begins!

This is not necessary, however, and you should expect to read through the entire thread and take in everyone's contributions before entering discussion. Pay attention to the date of the thread and its posts as well; some discussions may have taken place in a very different context!

Main: 59,402,542
Alt: 84,088,062

SM History Chart | Amel List
Active Skill Catalog (Spreadsheet)
Not really fan of making archetype specific threads, I would rather be posting them by series instead so the forum doesn't get that cluttered.

[Image: tgasfLe.png]

[GOS] Oriceles. UID: 64,287,068
Common adjutants: Atlantis, Nobunaga, Arthur, Ophiuchus, and Turing.
I'm Guild of Saviors president, and we are looking for members.
(02-06-2018, 01:53 AM)Oriceles Wrote: Not really fan of making archetype specific threads, I would rather be posting them by series instead so the forum doesn't get that cluttered.

Mmm. This system lets more people make small contributions, which is what we wanted (at least I did) when we talked about it way back when. We kinda agreed on this already? Can't expect everyone to make a whole series analysis especially if they don't own the whole series, but it's not too bad to let people have a crack at making a short writeup of their favorite teams. It also means that if someone stops updating a thread it's easy for someone else to remake it, whereas it's much more effort and energy to remake and update a whole series thread.

Can search by forum anyway so I don't think it's that bad.

[Image: hDTtKNv.png]
LF: Love and condo buyers. JK.
|Skill Training Guide For Newbies|
(02-06-2018, 02:06 AM)Fauxy Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 01:53 AM)Oriceles Wrote: Not really fan of making archetype specific threads, I would rather be posting them by series instead so the forum doesn't get that cluttered.

Mmm. This system lets more people make small contributions, which is what we wanted (at least I did) when we talked about it way back when. We kinda agreed on this already? Can't expect everyone to make a whole series analysis especially if they don't own the whole series, but it's not too bad to let people have a crack at making a short writeup of their favorite teams. It also means that if someone stops updating a thread it's easy for someone else to remake it, whereas it's much more effort and energy to remake and update a whole series thread.

Can search by forum anyway so I don't think it's that bad.

oic, quite similar to what build-discussion used to be years ago.

I mean, there is not that many series which can be easily encompassed in one read, probably Norse and Babylon, maybe Greek cause all the other series have widely different play styles it uses between the leaders.

Enviado desde mi BLL-L23 mediante Tapatalk
ID: 79230079

Available allies: pr Idun, all max pr Verthandi, ame IV Lu Cheng-Syuan, Dumuzi, Atrahasis.
(02-06-2018, 02:50 AM)Joaqs Wrote: I mean, there is not that many series which can be easily encompassed in one read, probably Norse and Babylon, maybe Greek cause all the other series have widely different play styles it uses between the leaders.

Enviado desde mi BLL-L23 mediante Tapatalk

By series, I think Oriceles means individual seals. Granted, they're both "series" in a sense, but the new seals tend to offer one or two unique playstyles (Sakura =/= Rose) when compared to the old series (No real difference in playstyle among Greeks).

I could see it go either way, honestly, or maybe even both. Maybe have a Sticky of an overview of the newest seal, with individual team builds as normal threads.
[Image: mrvUKKA.png]
Also available (AM): All VR Greek, KOF Kyo/Mai/Iori, LDB
UID: 22963116
(11-02-2017, 04:29 PM)Fauxy Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 08:39 AM)KaerfNomekop Wrote: A sub-forum for meta discussion would be very nice, IMO. I'm thinking one thread for each team archetype, so that the discussion is focused. Returning people can look to the thread for their favourite teams to see how the meta's changed for that particular archetype, and the front page of teams will roughly reflect what everyone's playing now.

I like the idea of a subforum with a thread per archetype and a stickied directory thread rather than one thread with a full infodump. That way everyone can really contribute on their own time instead of waiting on a masterthread held by one person. Also, if these writeups turn out anything like the TSZ guide and if we have to explain every ideal member for a team, this could get real unmanageable real fast.

This is what I was envisioning the subforum to be, or at least the greater part of it. Analyses of individual member cards for an archetype tend to not change too wildly, so newer versions of a Loki thread could link to older versions and cut down on the repetition of material. If an older main thread is no longer getting updated, discussion will naturally move to the newer ones anyway. This way also keeps some record of how the meta continues changing, which is nice for some of us oldies to reminisce upon.

If the individual patch analyses do move into this subforum, we could continue with individual threads per patch, and simply have the newest one stickied. Part of that or a new thread could also focus just on the changes brought by the new patch, e.g. new team archetypes and new members suited for older teams. Besides, I think the details on exactly how each and every team in the meta is changed by newly introduced cards would be too much content to put in a single thread. 

Most threads that we have in General Discussion that were meant for talking about a particular patch end up having multiple conversations happening in tandem, which is hard to read. My hope was/is that having this subforum will sort some of that away, so we don't have to interrupt discussion of how important the new converters are to Atlantis with a dispute about loli-Thor.
Main: 59,402,542
Alt: 84,088,062

SM History Chart | Amel List
Active Skill Catalog (Spreadsheet)
(11-02-2017, 04:29 PM)Fauxy Wrote: I like the idea of a subforum with a thread per archetype and a stickied directory thread rather than one thread with a full infodump. That way everyone can really contribute on their own time instead of waiting on a masterthread held by one person. Also, if these writeups turn out anything like the TSZ guide and if we have to explain every ideal member for a team, this could get real unmanageable real fast.

I just hope this forum doesn't return to the days it used to push people to outdated info Undecided , but I really think this subforum, my thread, and Discord can do a lot to prevent that already.

(02-07-2018, 04:33 AM)KaerfNomekop Wrote: If the individual patch analyses do move into this subforum, we could continue with individual threads per patch, and simply have the newest one stickied. Part of that or a new thread could also focus just on the changes brought by the new patch, e.g. new team archetypes and new members suited for older teams. Besides, I think the details on exactly how each and every team in the meta is changed by newly introduced cards would be too much content to put in a single thread. 

This part is making me think about how I can build an easier structure for my future threads from now, honestly they were turning huge lol.

(02-07-2018, 04:33 AM)KaerfNomekop Wrote: Most threads that we have in General Discussion that were meant for talking about a particular patch end up having multiple conversations happening in tandem, which is hard to read. My hope was/is that having this subforum will sort some of that away, so we don't have to interrupt discussion of how important the new converters are to Atlantis with a dispute about loli-Thor.

Part of that is because people doesn't open new threads, instead they keep the discussion on threads that are already active. I would like to recommend the mods here that if you see any hijack like that quote and recommend the members to move the discussion somewhere else, I used to do that when I was a mod on another forum, and even went far enough to move the posts from one thread to a new one lol.

Loli Thor <3.