Support TOS Forum by making a donation or subscribing as a VIP member today!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TOS Cries of Souls Indiegogo campaign on NOW!!
Welp, I guess it is true I need to lie in order to get people to fund this huh.... this sucks, I hate it. Can't people make a honest living by being honest anymore....

i think you might have misunderstood the Akanto's message.. i dun think false marketing is the right way to go around doing this, and i'm pretty sure he is not asking you to lie to get your funding..

Take myself for example.. I am running my own business, which gives me a certain degree of flexibility in my time.. There are days where I skip meals and friend gatherings to finish certain company projects, and there are also days where i can just play TOS all day (during some exp-up event).. However, if one day I would be going into a job interview, you bet i'll be emphasizing about my commitments and sacrifice for the company, and not about playing a mobile phone game all day..

The key to successful marketing, i guess, is practicing selective communication.. not lie, but select what you tell people carefully..

In any case, I personally appreciate the information that what you are creating is a visual novel, not a game... some people are into it, i'm not.. but if you were to successfully get your funding based on people believing it is a game, and it turn out not as expected, prepare to face some huge backlash..

if i were to give my 2 cents worth, your market pool is the english-speaking audience in a predominately chinese game.. perhaps you could work with translators to add a chinese version of whatever you are creating... that may increase your market pool / funding pool..

Clearing SM/GM with defensive teams ftw~~
Yes I did, and I have even shared it among the Chinese side, but to no avail, there is a Chinese translation for the demo too and yeah.... I guess no one really gives a shit, if only everyone who plays the game will give 1USD each, that would have been more then enough.

But please, do give me more tips on how to promote this, I have a friend who is a youtuber named AwesomePerfection1, he agrees to record a video of the gameplay and to promote the campaign, so I guess that is a start?

As for the Chinese version, who is going to help record it for me? I have told my friend to message Onityan or GhostGhost in Chinese about the visual novel, and yeah, I guess I can only hope he will be recording the demo and promote it.

(10-03-2017, 10:06 AM)Kina Skynight Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 08:12 AM)Akanto Wrote: ...

So you are saying that I cannot be honest? Well that is a bummer. It is kind of sad at the same time though, did people love being lied to that Michael?

Im not saying that, I mostly mean the points Nash made, aswell as some circumstances of what you said prevailing people from spending money. 2 years to make a demo is a long time, and who knows if there even will be a game in the end? That would spook me. Then the fact that you basically only have a bunch of devs. However only one programmer, 2 background artists and 2 or 3 people doing marketing or story. That sounds a tad... unprofessional? Why only one coder? Also, maybe link the deviant pages, or personal websites or some art of your artists, so I can check what theyre able to do. Furthermore, WHO is your trustworthy sister? And why does it prevails a potential split? 
But I guess the biggest problem is that indeed, you target the few english players for a mostly chinese game. 

EDIT: Also, wtf is that data format for the demo? YOu might want to make it easier to even try the demo.
And you could try contacting the bigger YT dudes in the ToS scene for more attention. Aaron, maybe charles, Kirin whoever you know. Just dont annoy them. ^^

EDIT2: And to be a little blunt here, the only picture provided looks uninspired and ununique to me. Its some random characters like we have seen them a million times. They lack detail and personality. And well... ToS resemblence? Big Grin Im sorry for hacking on all that, I hope you succeed, but you asked for constructive critics.
Add some more pics from the demo, so people can get a better quick view on what you plan. This should help, too.
[Image: 6nabheze.png]
 69531602                                      Saviors League (Lv17) looking for members
Well, I was planning on hiring more people ya know, but then I can't really do that without proper funding now do we? 2 years to make the demo is because 0 budget and all so I can't really force them too hard, but then the full game will be made in 3 years because I might be able to hire more people to work on it, thus saving more time and stuff. And to be real though, I spend 1 year to gather all people, because loads of others reject my request because I said that I need them to work for free FOR THE TIME BEING I even receive some very rude rejection though, so to be exact the demo is done in 1 year.

Oh and how rude, you think that I am not going to make the game, did you think that I am going to run away with the money like that, no no no no, I will never do that, trust me, this is my dream, and I WILL MAKE SURE TO MAKE THIS A SUCCESS. No matter what Smile

As for my sis, she is just a guardian, I am not splitting the money with her at all, just keeping tabs on it and stuff. And as for Chinese stuff, yes I HAVE already did that, but the Chinese side give no fucks or maybe they think I am lying :/ like I have mentioned above.

Aaron already knows yo, he already tried it out way before, so no point in telling him to make a video about it at all. As for downloading the demo..... you never used DropBox before? Well I guess you do need an account to download it I guess :/ Why do you think I will annoy them huh??? Jeez, if they don't wanna do it, then fine, I am not going to force them to do it. I don't even know how to contact them, the only ones I watched are Onityan and Aaron.

Sorry because we can't do well because we made all of that 0 budget, not even a penny spent, so this is the best we can do for now, you didn't even played the demo or known the story yet, so you just judge it by character appearance? And the artist is still new, so cut him some slack, that is as original as it can get, I have watched shit loads of anime and read shit load of manga, trust me, I know how a generic main character looks like. At least I am not going on to the Yu Gi Oh MC hair style X'D oh boy, those hairs man, those hairs.

Oh and this is just a demo and stuff like that, so things are bound to change A LOT in the final product, keep some faith in it.

The one I am asking feedback for is the demo, the real kicker of it. I will be adding a video instead when my friend posted that video on his channel, he will start working on it this weekend. I am sorry that I sound so grumpy, maybe I am just sick and tired that what I have worked hard on, nobody gives a shit. But thanks though, I will try and improve it. I just hope we can get the funding for it by then, so that I can improve all the shit I need to improve.

(This is not related at all, but this is just something that makes my blood boiled, just a rant to get shit off my chest before I explode, thanks) vvvvvvvv

Oh and as for the GUI designer's story? He is a complete asshole, he acted like everything he said is right and he is always right and no wrong, he even act like he is the one who made all of that, like bruh??? Then he wanna DMCA me for 'stealing' his works, and even dare to wanting to file a DMCA report against MH themselves because they 'stole' his characters etc etc, basically he is a fucking nut job. He is the one who made that uninspired shit that you saw, because when I said I want to tell the artist to make something unique for it to attract people, he said FUCK YOU that will sucks grrrrrrr.

He even made me apologize to him on our dev group to make ME look like I am the bad guy, so yeah, I am feeling very disgusted right now (Good thing is, my team mates ignored him and side by my side because even THEY themselves know he is a nut job Big Grin thanks guys), heck he didn't even fucking appreciate it for fuck's sake, he dares to say this shit to me "Not much of an apology but whatever" Well FUCK YOU TOO THEN, you are the one who started this whole fucking mess and you didn't even apologize too for being such a fucking ass you mother fucker!!! You should be the one apologizing to ME you asshole piece of shit human.

Thanks for letting me get my anger out, that fucking nut case, I can't believe I even brother to apologize to him for the shit he started and he didn't even appreciate it that fucker. Get my anger out and clear my mind from that asshole oh and his name is Kia Azad, so if he ever asked for a job, REJECT HIM. Heck even when my marketer who also owns a business hire him to work for him, he keeps on giving him shit too like he controls everything, so yeah. NO.
Honey no need to get to angry. You asked for feedback, I provided. Obviously our tastes differ, but you might need to consider Im not the only one thinking this way. Also, if the demo was made in a year, then write that. Wink Why make it look half as fast then you are?
I never said youre not going to make the game. I simply stated it can look that way.
What I ment about your sister is, how is she a safety for a spender that you and her dont take the money? Shes not some bank, or 3rd party accountant or something. And if she is, you might consider mentioning that.
Yes I am judging based on looks. Its a graphic novel, and the first thing I see about the game. So its hard to not judge by that.

Im mostly playing devils advocate here. But it needs to be done.

Also, do you guys have a fb site or something to post progress, work in progress, or other bits and pieces? That would help getting some more money, too, I guess.
[Image: 6nabheze.png]
 69531602                                      Saviors League (Lv17) looking for members
1) What is the audience that would be interested in playing a TOS visual novel? (As you've seen, it might not be TOS players)

Figure out who would actually be interested in the game and then put the marketing in front of them e.g. post on visual novel forums, fan fiction sites etc.

2) Why would people want to play your game? There are heaps of games out there. What is the unique selling point that makes yours shine above the rest? Again, figure out the segment of people that care about that unique selling point and put the marketing in front of them. Tell them why your product is better than the rest and why they should bother to spend their time and money on you.

3) There are plenty of scams and failures out there, so people are going to be skeptical. This is your first game. Figure out how you can give people comfort that you will actually deliver and meet all your timeframes/promises.

4) 50k is a lot of money. Have a look at other Kickstarter's etc. To see what people normally ask for. You want to start thinking about what can be cut from your budget.
Channel: https://goo.gl/XqxMx2
[Image: 6636360e.jpg]

All Max + VR: WFLD Greek, FELD Babylon, All Norse, Lucy, Beelzebub, Pontos, Aether, Erebus, Yog-Sothoth, Chessia, Satan, Guan Yu, TSZ, Izanagi, Hideyoshi
(10-05-2017, 06:27 AM)Akanto Wrote: Honey no need to get to angry. You asked for feedback, I provided. Obviously our tastes differ, but you might need to consider Im not the only one thinking this way. Also, if the demo was made in a year, then write that. Wink Why make it look half as fast then you are?
I never said youre not going to make the game. I simply stated it can look that way.
What I ment about your sister is, how is she a safety for a spender that you and her dont take the money? Shes not some bank, or 3rd party accountant or something. And if she is, you might consider mentioning that.
Yes I am judging based on looks. Its a graphic novel, and the first thing I see about the game. So its hard to not judge by that.

Im mostly playing devils advocate here. But it needs to be done.

Also, do you guys have a fb site or something to post progress, work in progress, or other bits and pieces? That would help getting some more money, too, I guess.

Like I said, those anger is not aimed at you, I just sounded a little grumpy. And yah, this is my dream, I won't ever ever steal the money made, and not my sis too since she at least have more brains to not do that.

Yes I did, I even put the links there into indiegogo, dunno why it didn't show at all, let me just edit it after. 

Also, a visual novel, you might want to judge it via the story, if you have WONDERFUL graphics but lame ass story, people are not going to be too happy either. I mean look at clanned, the graphics is very..... interesting....... But then people said that it is a master piece because of the wonderful story.
(10-05-2017, 07:56 AM)aahlsy Wrote: 1) What is the audience that would be interested in playing a TOS visual novel? (As you've seen, it might not be TOS players)

Figure out who would actually be interested in the game and then put the marketing in front of them e.g. post on visual novel forums, fan fiction sites etc.

2) Why would people want to play your game? There are heaps of games out there. What is the unique selling point that makes yours shine above the rest? Again, figure out the segment of people that care about that unique selling point and put the marketing in front of them. Tell them why your product is better than the rest and why they should bother to spend their time and money on you.

3) There are plenty of scams and failures out there, so people are going to be skeptical. This is your first game. Figure out how you can give people comfort that you will actually deliver and meet all your timeframes/promises.

4) 50k is a lot of money. Have a look at other Kickstarter's etc. To see what people normally ask for. You want to start thinking about what can be cut from your budget.

The ones I know of, is not really that active to be honest, if you can recommend one, then please, be my guest.

I have mentioned it on the campaign page though, like the endings, instead of just the standard choices the endings will be determined by playing video games. And the fact that there are 7 routes in total, but only 2 is focused on him, the rest will be changed into another POV and make another character the MC, which I guess not too much VN did it. 

Well then, how do I do that then, the hell should I do? I don't camera or a mic to record videos and stuff, all I have are my laptop's camera and mic. Drawing more stuff or something?

I can't just cut the budget just like that, I am not an asshole director. If I want to cut I will cut my own..... but then I can't really cut it because it might not even helped much, my salary is not very high, since I gave it all up for my team mates. And this is a big project too, so I can't pay them too little to work on it.
Without trying to be patronising... The short response is just "grow up".
You've got a dream, and certain expectations around it. Unfortunately your expectations aren't the same as those of the people you're trying to sell your dream to. By asking the questions above I'm trying to push you in the right direction to align everyone's expectations, or at least bring them closer together. I don't have answers to the questions because a TOS visual novel is not something I'm interested in - this is something that you, as a creator, need to figure out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Channel: https://goo.gl/XqxMx2
[Image: 6636360e.jpg]

All Max + VR: WFLD Greek, FELD Babylon, All Norse, Lucy, Beelzebub, Pontos, Aether, Erebus, Yog-Sothoth, Chessia, Satan, Guan Yu, TSZ, Izanagi, Hideyoshi