Support TOS Forum by making a donation or subscribing as a VIP member today!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guan Yu [Deck Building Advice]
Video 
Hi guys,

Looking for some Guan Yu deck building advice as a returning f2p player. Just drew Guan Yu when I returned, so I was pretty stoked for that Big Grin

Here's the screen shots of the cards I have - Going forward, it seems like I should continue building my mono water deck? That was my plan back in 2014 actually haha...

Playing RGB deck is just really fun, but if I want to push through the content (i.e. get to 9th seal), then maybe staying with my mono-blue greek god deck is the way to go?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

[Image: 9559536_1890322266.png]
Guan Yu is a lot stronger than Greek, so I dunno why you'd think you wouldn't be able to get through the 9th seal with her. There's a few stages that will give you problems like the Aether one with a 30 light dissolve shield, but for the most part you'll be able to handle much more with a team that is current meta rather than a dated team like Greek.

You don't have that many cards so there's not much to say. Train up Molly and Cassandra and use a filler Fire and Earth card until you can draw Medea and Circe. You can also use Yang Jian as a Earth/Fire leader with Dipankara/Randeng as ally, but since you don't have either Medea or Circe, it's not going to be that great a team.

Shame that you'll miss Zhang Fei in the upcoming SM. He's one of Guan Yu's recommended members.

UID: 86478773
Adjutant Rotation: Maya, Ophiuchus, Rose.

On Request:
All Max: Erebus, Chessia, Amaterasu, Aloha, Wukong, Shuta, Yidhra, Jackie, Jack.
Nonmax: Barbara, Aether, Khaos, Mai.

LF: A good time. Wink
Thanks for your prompt reply Fauxy Big Grin

Appreciate your advice - I will use Guan Yu as my main team now then, and level Molly & Cassandra after I've maxed Guan Yu.

But I'm also curious - is it worth it to level Molly & Cassandra, since that makes my team very water-heavy (i.e. Guan Yu, Guan Yu, Molly, Cassandra), i.e. four water members... wouldn't that make earth stages a pain?

Just had a look at SM - it's on tomorrow, and i'll definitely be missing Zhang Fei haha. But oh well Smile

I guess I'll just save up diamonds and draw during earth/fire boosted events to get better cards (and hopefully draw Circe xD)

Assuming if I've maxed Cassandra & Molly - would it be worth it to level up the Sisters? (i.e. urd + Cassandra is quite strong), or should I farm for the earth/fire starters instesad?

Thanks again Smile

(11-17-2017, 02:24 PM)fathead Wrote: Hi guys,

Looking for some Guan Yu deck building advice as a returning f2p player. Just drew Guan Yu when I returned, so I was pretty stoked for that Big Grin

Here's the screen shots of the cards I have - Going forward, it seems like I should continue building my mono water deck? That was my plan back in 2014 actually haha...

Playing RGB deck is just really fun, but if I want to push through the content (i.e. get to 9th seal), then maybe staying with my mono-blue greek god deck is the way to go?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
First of all welcome back and congrats on getting her! So here's the thing, Guan Yu is your best leader no doubt about it. Even after a year since it's release, it remains one of the best cards in the game to date, partly due to being able to slot in all three enchantresses (for which you have Cassandra a.k.a Princess of Troy) to great effect. Today's SM stage features Zhang Fei who has team skills and combine skills with Guan Yu if both your leader and ally are Guan Yu with Zhang Fei as a member, but i can see that you are still relatively low level and have a very limited card pool, so you might wanna skip the stage and wait for its next return when you are more ready. 

The number one thing you should be focusing on right now is to increase your level and expand your card pool. I'm not sure about this but there's supposedly a stage for lower level players to quickly level up and also collect soulstones along the way so you might wanna spam that stage until your level quota has reached. 

Also, do play the arena everyday, it's an invaluable hub especially for f2p players to gain diamonds and other great rewards. 
If you're not familiar with it, read up on this thread: http://www.towerofsaviorsforum.com/Thread-Guide-A-Full-Guide-and-Explanation-to-the-Arena-ToS-Version-13-Update?highlight=arena

Now for your current pool, the cards worth training up are: 
Guan Yu (of course) 
Cassandra (ideally you'd want Circe in your Guan Yu team as well so hold out on your diamonds until there is an increased chance to get her. Regardless all enchantresses are worth maxing out) 
Yang Jian (RDYJ teams can still carry you through a lot of stages even if the power creep got to them)
Urd (freezing actives are very useful)
Gemini (who becomes an absolute monster and a core member to any dark team after AR)
Skogul (who can fit in a Guan Yu team before you get more suitable members) 
Norse (only if you have resources to spare)
Egyptians (board clear +sniper). 
Starters, Molly in your case (all PR starters are useful)

Do note that alot of cards have feeders for their skill levels, so make sure you've leveled their skill to max before evolving. More on that here: http://www.towerofsaviorsforum.com/Thread-Guide-Skill-Leveling-Updated-to-V13-1.

Lastly, on your question regarding Greeks, Greeks are a far cry from what they used to be in the game and are so out of the meta now that only VR can save them so you should prioritize your RGB Guan Yu team for sure.  
Main Ally: Atlantis
Allies available upon request (All/Dual max): Maya, Rose, Sakura, Ophiuchus, PR Yvette & Yidhra, VR Jackie, VR Elizabeth, VR Jack, VR Loki, Izanagi, Hideyoshi, Uncle Tuu, Chessia, Abraham, PR Aloha, Haza, PR Randeng/Dipankara

Looking for: More friends!! Will accept anyone with the above cards
ID: 21218485
(11-17-2017, 03:04 PM)put1572 Wrote: The number one thing you should be focusing on right now is to increase your level and expand your card pool. I'm not sure about this but there's supposedly a stage for lower level players to quickly level up and also collect soulstones along the way so you might wanna spam that stage until your level quota has reached.

It's not so mythical lol. It's on the wiki. Somewhere. I can't remember what it's called though, since it ends at level 150 and I haven't seen it in a long time.

(11-17-2017, 03:02 PM)fathead Wrote: But I'm also curious - is it worth it to level Molly & Cassandra, since that makes my team very water-heavy (i.e. Guan Yu, Guan Yu, Molly, Cassandra), i.e. four water members... wouldn't that make earth stages a pain?

[...]

Assuming if I've maxed Cassandra & Molly - would it be worth it to level up the Sisters? (i.e. urd + Cassandra is quite strong), or should I farm for the earth/fire starters instesad?

You know, in older stages elemental advantage really doesn't matter that much. A lot of the newer cards have such high damage output that it overcomes the resistance quite easily. Newer stages have higher defenses and different enemy skills that make resistance more important, but that's probably not going to be a concern for you for a while. Void of the Realm (the new endgame story mode content) changes the way elemental matchup works to be much more relevant, but again, it's a long road there.

The Norns are useful but very situational. Of your current card pool, I'd put Shu above any of them in terms of value in training, just because Dragons are a good boost to team stats, and Shu is a sniper, which is also situational, but very necessary depending on the situation.

You should take Put's advice and max out your cards' CDs before evolving them too far.
UID: 86478773
Adjutant Rotation: Maya, Ophiuchus, Rose.

On Request:
All Max: Erebus, Chessia, Amaterasu, Aloha, Wukong, Shuta, Yidhra, Jackie, Jack.
Nonmax: Barbara, Aether, Khaos, Mai.

LF: A good time. Wink
Quote:Guan Yu (of course)
Cassandra (ideally you'd want Circe in your Guan Yu team as well so hold out on your diamonds until there is an increased chance to get her. Regardless all enchantresses are worth maxing out)

Thanks Put, I'll definitely max Guan Yu and Cassandra first in any event Smile

I messed up in terms of the feeder - I evolved Guan Yu before feeding her with the relevant feeders... oh well, I'll just be using harpies to feed Guan Yu first so that she's max/maxed xD
Quote:You should take Put's advice and max out your cards' CDs before evolving them too far.

Thanks Fauxy!

I thought Shu's active effect was this:

Explode all non-Earth Runestones to deal an Earth Damage to all enemies

That doesn't sound all that impressive... Egyptian gods sucked when I played, and I still get the feeling that Shu sucks haha

Thanks for the tip about maxing CDs first.. I'll look into that the next time I get a good card=_=''

I'll be focusing on leveling Guan Yu (to 99), then Shu (to 70), then Cassandra (to 70), then PR Molly... at least that's the plan now!

Looking at my card pool for fire cards, i really only have Tyr - should I farm for the fire starter (Sean), farm then PR the Fire sister, or farm for the fire paladin?
(11-17-2017, 03:54 PM)fathead Wrote:
Quote:You should take Put's advice and max out your cards' CDs before evolving them too far.

Thanks Fauxy!

That doesn't sound all that impressive... Egyptian gods sucked when I played, and I still get the feeling that Shu sucks haha

Thanks for the tip about maxing CDs first.. I'll look into that the next time I get a good card=_=''

I'll be focusing on leveling Guan Yu (to 99), then Shu (to 70), then Cassandra (to 70), then PR Molly... at least that's the plan now!

Looking at my card pool for fire cards, i really only have Tyr - should I farm for the fire starter (Sean), farm then PR the Fire sister, or farm for the fire paladin?

If you max out amelioration on PR Egyptians, their skill changes to add an extra attack multiplier that scales with number of runestones exploded, up to 2x for 25 runestones.

These days, there are a lot of board hazards (locked runes, electrified runes, etc.) that board explosion can deal with easily.
ID: 40 944 239  
Ally: Ophiuchus (Dbl Max).
Have:
- Abraham, VR Elizabeth, Guan Yu
- Chessia, Nobunaga, Mai Shiranui
- Izanagi, Ophiuchus, Hideyoshi
- Lu Bu, Rose, Khaos
...and others...
Ah that makes alot of sense , thanks agensi Smile

No chance of me being able to do the Zhangfei SM right? I mean I really don't see myself getting past a SM stage even by gemming 10 times xD
(11-17-2017, 03:54 PM)fathead Wrote:

Thanks Fauxy!

No need to bother with Tyr right now since you don't have Odin (who needs to be VR'ed along with Tyr to keep norse in the meta, and Norse's the team cost is massive). Farming for Sean is not really recommended since his drop rate in normal seal stages are so low, you'd be better off trying your luck during the friend point seal event for an increased chance to get "rare" cards (starters, baby harpies etc.) 

Farming for either the fire sister or paladin is fine since both have their uses after PR (Fire sister offering time-tunnel + booster and Fire paladin offering a snipe regardless of enemy defense). You can farm these two easily in the Loss Relic Pass registry (flying airship) by first feeding your main monster 5 baby harpies to get it to level 7 and then feed 5 dupes to your main monster to guarantee at least 1 skill level up (sometimes you get lucky "jumps" and the monster's skill level increases by more than 1). 

I'd also recommend farming for the newborn elves (sprites) at the LR pass  since they recently got a PR which makes them a lot better as both leaders and members with Yvette and Yidhra being especially great. You can also set them as leaders allied with Khaos (ninth seal boss) who should be a common ally right now for a fun and safe team. 
Main Ally: Atlantis
Allies available upon request (All/Dual max): Maya, Rose, Sakura, Ophiuchus, PR Yvette & Yidhra, VR Jackie, VR Elizabeth, VR Jack, VR Loki, Izanagi, Hideyoshi, Uncle Tuu, Chessia, Abraham, PR Aloha, Haza, PR Randeng/Dipankara

Looking for: More friends!! Will accept anyone with the above cards
ID: 21218485